Saturday, June 28, 2008

Damn you Blasted Fast!!! Graaah: It's Over!

The fast is over. Time really flew by, but then again I was very busy. I had an exam to study for, driving lessons, etc ... Before I knew it Tuesday was here, my last day. Switching to B grade maple syrup was nice, I had more energy. The last few days my weight really started to drop. My mom and dad were like "you're starting to look emaciated!" The weight issue didn't bother me because it's always nice to lose weight (I'm goin' tah Europe!! I wanna look as good as I can!!). They say the weight tends to come back after the fast. I can understand that. If you return to former eating and lifestyle habits then yea, the weight comes back. I did this fast to eat a higher octane raw diet afterwards, and I started running again.

The real bonus of the fast - cleaness. Towards the end I found I didn't have b.o. if I didn't shower right after waking or forget to put on deodorant. That was really nice. The lemonade did cause some bad breath, but nothing carrying a round a toothbrush couldn't cure. My skin cleared up a lot too. I really enjoyed this aspect!

The last few days were somewhat tough. I couldn't help but think about all the delish raw foods I was going to make and then EAT!

On the Wednesday I juiced about 48 oranges for two people to last the whole day. That was good. It was a great change and a good way to transition back into food. I did get a little nauseous, but at least it was with fresh squeezed OJ and not some concentrate bottled Minute Maid crap. Tip: peel away all the skin and pulp if you want your juicer to get more juice out of the orange and if you want sweeter juice.

Thursday was broth with veggies. I had made a hearty green salad before the fast (kale, carrots, okra, onions, cayenne, sprouts) and froze it all for this day in particular. It was very bland but got the digestive system working again (a little salt helped it). I had an organic soy yogurt in the evening to replenish intestinal bacteria.

Friday I ate normally, which is fruits and veggies (this would be the last day of transitioning for people who eat meat and cooked foods - Saturday would be the day they can eat normal). I had a big green smoothie in the morn. The afternoon I had salsa with avocados on top of romaine lettuce with a cashew-sunflower seed raw cheese and wrapped it all in a big ol' leaf of organic collard green (acting as a tortilla). Very good and filling. I had it with nuts and dried fruit as a snack. Later on I ate another yogurt and some organic olives.

Recipes for what I ate on Friday:

Salsa:
1/2 bunch of cilantro
1/4 Sweet onion
1 tomatoes
1 Green Peppers
1 Avocado
1 JalapeƱo Pepper
2 cloves of garlic
1 Tblsp Olive Oil
1 tsp Agave
Salt to taste


Finely chop all the veggies. Soak the chopped onions in water for ten minutes (start with them first, soak and then after you finish chopping everything else, drain and add the onions). Mix all the veggies and seasoning. Eat your heart out!!

Cashew-Sunflower Cheese:

1/2 cup cashews
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1 -1 1/2 cup water (or more if you want it looser)
6 tblsp Nutritional Yeast
4 tblsp each of onion and garlic powder or granules (can use fresh onion and garlic - three cloves with half and onion)
1 tblsp agave nectar (or any natural sweetner of choice)
1 tsp salt or add to taste

*If using just cashews, add 1/2 cup more cashews and two less tblsps each of the garlic, onion and nutritional yeast*

Process everything in a food processor/blender. Refrigerating makes it more solid so I usually make it at night and eat it with my meals the next day. This recipe makes a lot if you use the sunflower seeds. I added them to stretch out my cashews, which are expensive.

For the wraps:

Big leafy dark greens may be used. Throw everything within the leafy with some regular lettuce and whatever filling of your choice and wrap around. Can be messy with the salsa. As an alternative, instead of cutting everything in the salsa really tiny, you can cut it all in strips and layer it in the wrap to cut down on mess. Very yummy, filling and inexpensive!


That was my fast folks!


No comments: